Adventures on the Water
Raft the Vaal!
The rapids and island of the Vaal in the Parys area occur because the river has eroded cracks and underlying granite which forms the central core of the Dome.
This then is the playground of kayakers and rafters – those paddlers in small boats who capsizes and roll up with seeming ease. All along the river are lodges for overnight stays. The Vaal is not the Zambezi with rapids classed 3-5, but a fun river….. winter and summer it remains beautiful.
The Vaal offers several options for river tripping:
- Wilderness canoeing on the flat water among some islands ( no rapids, but a good chance to spot fish eagles, otters, leguaans and even monkeys.
- Paddling your own 2 seater inflatable raft or Croc on rapids
- Guided 4-8 seater rafting with a raftmaster who takes charge of your fate and tells you how to paddle. Families love to choose this option. Children over 12 run the whitewater sections in guided rafts.
- Floatalong trips in guided rafts through milder rapids for kiddies 6 and over. This is an ideal introduction to life on the water for the young explorer.
- Tubing is another fun activity for families and groups. Float down the river slowly …
Courtesy: Graeme Addison- IMPACT
- Area of Operations: Outdoor Adventure
- Hits: 2135